Emefiele Faces DSS Probe Over Alleged
Terrorism Financing: Emefiele Faces DSS Probe
The suspended Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN), Godwin Emefiele, is reportedly facing a probe by the Department of State Services (DSS) and other security agencies over alleged terrorism financing and other financial atrocities.
Emefiele who was suspended indefinitely by President Bola Ahmed Tinubu on Friday has according to some unconfirmed reports been arrested by operatives of the DSS.
The DSS had gone to court to secure an order to effect Emefiele’s arrest for alleged terrorism financing while there were repeated attempts to arrest and persecute him while ex-President Muhammadu Buhari was in office.
Some of the yet-to-be-proven allegations by the DSS against the suspended Emefiele include
1. Funding unknown gunmen, ESN and IPOB with money he raised for his failed presidential bid last year and funds diverted from government coffers.
2. Mismanagement of Nigeria’s social investment program (NISRAL) and the Anchor Borrowers Scheme
3. Illegal economic crimes of National security dimension
4. Money laundering
5. Unwholesome activities through proxies
6. Round tripping
7. Conferment of financial benefits to self and others
8. Threat to National Security
9. Criminal conspiracy to divert government resources
10. Terrorism financing