Taraba State Governor, Agbu Kefas, on Wednesday, addressed allegations surrounding his defection from the Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) to the All Progressives Congress (APC), vehemently denying claims that monetary incentives played a role in his decision.
Kefas, who met behind closed doors with President Bola Tinubu at the Presidential Villa in Abuja, dismissed the rumours of financial inducements as “baseless political gossip.” The governor, speaking to State House correspondents, stressed that his shift to the APC was driven by a desire to advance the development of Taraba State and not by any form of payment or personal gain.
“Let me make it clear: no one gave me money to leave the PDP and join the APC. My decision was based on strategic considerations and what I believe is best for my people,” Kefas affirmed. “It was a choice made from conviction, not a financial transaction,” he reiterated, stressing that his priority is the state’s progress and prosperity.
Addressing the suggestion that his defection might have strained his relationship with influential Taraba son and former Defence Minister, General Theophilus Danjuma (retd), Kefas rejected the speculation. “There is absolutely no issue between us,” the governor said, describing Danjuma as a father figure whose support he continues to receive. Kefas emphasized that Danjuma had been consulted prior to his defection, and the general had given his blessing to the move.
“My visit to him was simply to express appreciation and reaffirm our strong personal bond,” Kefas explained. “There has never been any misunderstanding between us. I value his guidance, and he supports me, just as he always has.”
Kefas’ decision to leave the PDP in late 2025 or early 2026 sparked a mixture of reactions within the state. While some political figures and local leaders hailed the move as a pragmatic alignment with the federal government that could bring benefits to Taraba, critics have argued that it was politically motivated. The defection set off a ripple effect, with several party officials, state assembly members, and council chairmen following suit, signaling a shift in the political landscape of Taraba State ahead of the 2027 elections.
During his meeting with President Tinubu, the governor highlighted key issues affecting Taraba, including security, agriculture, and the welfare of residents. Kefas expressed optimism about the collaboration between the state and federal governments, particularly in enhancing security, which he said had improved since his administration took office.
“Taraba is now safer than before, although no place is free from crime. We are making steady progress in reducing violence and unrest,” he remarked, adding that the state is also advancing in the agricultural sector with the introduction of mechanized farming and increased access to modern tools.
The governor’s agricultural initiative is set to take the next step, with plans to establish local processing facilities aimed at creating jobs and adding value to the state’s agricultural produce.
In the face of some political resistance, Kefas remained confident that his administration’s performance would continue to earn the trust and support of Taraba’s citizens. He emphasized that the people of the state have embraced his policies, and he is determined to push forward with his agenda for development.
Reflecting on the timing of his meeting with President Tinubu, Kefas also highlighted the significance of the convergence of the Christian Lenten season and the Muslim holy month of Ramadan, urging citizens to embrace the period of reflection as a time for unity and national peace.
As Taraba heads into the 2027 election cycle, the political realignment caused by Kefas’ defection is likely to play a key role in shaping the state’s future, as the long-standing dominance of the PDP is gradually being replaced by a more competitive, multiparty political environment.


